Afrab-Chem Limited, 22 Abimbola Street, Isolo Ind. Estate, Isolo, Lagos State, Nigeria.
Dosage Form, Composition & NAFDAC Registration Number (NRN)
Syrup (NRN: 04-3734): Each 5 mL of Detonic contains: Ferrous Gluconate BP 120 mg, Folic acid BP 0.3 mg, Vitamin B1 BP 2.0 mg, Vitamin B2 BP 1.0 mg, Vitamin B6 BP 2.0 mg, Vitamin B12 BP 5.0 mcg.
Pack size: Amber glass bottle of 200 mL and 1 litre
- Mangagement of iron deficiency anaemia.
- Anaemia due to blood loss in worm infestation, surgery, delivery and menstruation.
- Anaemia due to febrile illness like malaria, typhoid and influenza.
- In symptoms like generalized weakness, tiredness, pallor caused by depletion of iron stores in the body.
- For speedy recovery from illness, convalescence, for growing children and for elderly with problems of poor ingestion.
Iron preparations should not be given to patients receiving repeated blood transfusions or to patients with anaemia not produced by iron deficiency. Iron decreases the absorption of other drugs like Levodopa, Methyldopa, Penicillamine, Tetracycline etc and as such should not be administered concurrently.
Preparations containing Thiamine Hydrochloride are usually incompatible with phenobarbitone sodium. If given together results in deterioration of thiamine. Folic acid should be given with care in patients who may have folate-dependent tumours.
- Do not take or prescribe drugs after the expiry date. Always check the expiry date before taking the drug.
Interactions involving heamatinics and flouroquinolones have been reported.
Haematinics are usually well tolerated. Gastrointestinal irritations can occur which is common with iron containing preparations. The stool may be black in colour due to iron excretion.
Dosage and Administration
Adult and children above 12 years 2 teaspoonfuls (10 mL) twice daily
Children (6-12) years One teaspoonful (5 mL) twice daily
Children below 6 years Only on recommendation of a physician
Keep all medicines in a cool dry place and out of reach of children.