Tablets have a number of advantages:
- They enable an accurate dosage of medicament to be administered simply.
- They are easy to transport in bulk and for the patient to carry.
- The tablet is a uniform final product as regards weight and appearance and is usually more stable than liquid preparations.
- The release rate of the drug from a tablet can be tailored to meet pharmacological requirements.
- Tablets are the most tamper-proof of all oral dosage forms.
- Tablets can be mass-produced simply and quickly, and the resultant manufacturing cost is therefore less expensive than other dosage forms.
- Tablets are very versatile. Many variations of tablet formulations exist, and new ones are being developed continuously.